PRAXIS CORE ACADEMIC SKILLS FOR EDUCATORS TEST
Colleges and universities may use the Praxis Core tests to evaluate individuals basic academic skills prior to entry into teacher education programs.
"We worked with committees of teacher educators to ensure that the new Praxis CORE series of exams reflects the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), in particular those standards that the educators deemed most important to success in a teacher preparation program. The new tests are designed to help teacher educators choose the candidates most likely to flourish in programs geared to meet the intensified demand for teachers whose students will complete their K–12 education ready for college and for the workforce."
-ETS Vice President and COO of Teacher Licensure & Certification Programs, George Powell.
Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators Test Overview
Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Tests measure academic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. These tests were designed to provide comprehensive assessments that measure the skills and content knowledge of candidates entering teacher preparation programs.
The Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests consist of three separate tests:
- Reading Test: The Core Reading test includes sets of questions that require the integration and analysis of multiple documents, as well as some alternate response types, e.g., select-in-passage. See Reading Test Preparation.
- Writing Test: The Core Writing test assesses both argumentative writing and informative/explanatory writing, and will contain one writing task for each writing type. In addition, multiple-choice questions will be added to address the importance of research strategies and assess strategies for revising and improving text. See Writing Test Preparation.
- Mathematics Test: The Core Mathematics test includes numeric entry and multiple choice questions, and will also offer an on-screen calculator to help ensure that questions are testing mathematical reasoning by reducing the chance that a candidate’s wrong response comes from a simple arithmetic error. See Mathematics Test Preparation.
Praxis Core tests include objective response questions, such as single-selection multiple-choice questions, multiple-selection multiple-choice questions, and numeric entry questions. The Praxis Core Writing test also includes two essay sections.
The Praxis Core tests are delivered on computer and may be taken either as three separate tests on separate days or as one combined test. Individual scores will be reported for reading, mathematics and writing on both the individual and the combined tests.
If you take the Praxis Core tests separately, each session lasts two hours. If you take the combined test, the entire session lasts 5 hours. Each session includes time for tutorials and the collection of background information. The combined test includes time for an optional 10-minute break.
The actual testing time and number of questions for each Praxis Core test is shown below:
- Reading Test: 56 questions/85 minutes
- Writing Test: 40 questions/40 minutes + 2 essays/60 minutes
- Mathematics Test: 56 questions/85 minutes
The cost of the tests will be $135, if all three subject tests are taken at once; $85 to repeat any one test on which a candidate does not receive a passing score; and $125 to repeat two subject tests at once. A free study companion for the CORE assessments will be available when registration opens. A complete interactive practice test will be available for purchase in September 2013.
The Praxis Core tests are delivered on computer. They are administered through an international network of test centers. The Core tests are offered during specific testing windows.
Praxis tests are only given in English. If you are a test taker whose primary language is not English (PLNE), you may be eligible for extended testing time. Test takers who qualify for PLNE accommodations may take Core tests on all test dates at pre-established test centers.
*Information on this page is adapted from above website authored by Praxis.™
Alumni and Faculty/Staff