This 16-credit certificate will provide you with opportunities to pursue positions as paraeducators or enhance skills as already certified teachers with a focus on Special and Inclusive Education. You will be equipped with the skills to plan and deliver general curriculum that is inclusive of children with disabilities, as well as gain the knowledge for assessing developmental milestones and applying evidence-based practices to assess student learning.
The Certificate of Competence in Special /Inclusive Education will provide students with opportunities to pursue positions as paraeducators or enhance skills as already certified teachers.
Program learning outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Describe characteristics of children with disabilities and developmental milestones for typically developing children
- Plan and deliver instruction appropriate to including children with disabilities within the general curriculum.
- Communicate with parents/guardians using culturally and linguistically diverse strategies to meet students' instructional goals and create individualized education plans (IEP).
- Apply evidence-based practices (EBPs) to assess student learning, use appropriate instructional strategies for tiered levels of intervention, and monitor and report on progress.
- Establish and maintain a safe learning environment.
- Describe the appropriate responsibilities related to each member of the multidisciplinary support team and execute ethical practices as a professional.
The average time to complete this certificate varies from one to three semesters.
Tuition & Fees