Advanced Professional Certificate in SPED
This 19 credit professional certificate is designed for those with a bachelor-level degree in any field that leads to recommendation for licensure to teach SPED. You will gain the skills and knowledge to explain and practice special education policies, understand the effects of disabilities on social and emotional development, as well as design and implement individualized education plans for students with disabilities
The Advanced Professional Certificate in SPED Mild/Moderate PK-12 is a 19 cr. certificate for those with a bachelor-level degree in any field which leads to recommendation for licensure to teach SPED.
Program learning outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Explain and practice special education policies, procedures and legal requirements regarding students with disabilities.
- Describe the range and multiple manifestations of disabilities and their effects on social and emotional development, communication skills and oral language development, motor skills, functional and independent living skills, employment-related skills, and self-advocacy skills.
- Design and implement individualized educational programs that have a repertoire of instructional strategies, accommodations, assessment techniques and procedures that are appropriate for students with disabilities.
- Explain strategies for collaborating with families and other professionals to further student learning.
- Identify how to access resources and assistive technologies to support student learning, and to provide transition support to help students maintain continuous progress toward their educational goals.
The average time to complete this certificate varies from 3 to 4 semesters
Tuition & Fees
Counseling & ADvising
apc IN SPED APPLICATION
APC in sped faqs